Overview: Serve as the primary writer and editor for the Media Relations Office and oversee editorial for various projects and publications (printed and online) disseminated by the Communications Department. Assist in day-to-day media relations efforts and assure effective communications that leads to an increased public awareness of the Washington Capitals and its players. Work with traditional and non-traditional media, both locally and nationally. Assume a role in the department’s’ social media efforts.
- Serve as the primary writer of game notes and oversee the editorial and editing of various team publications, including draft guide, training camp guide, media guide, game program, yearbook and playoff guide.
- Assist senior director in managing day-to-day media interaction with players and coaches at team practices, games and events.
- Maintain excellent relationships with the traditional and nontraditional media while developing and suggesting storylines to increase the awareness of the organization and its players, coaches, community-related projects and business initiatives.
- Coordinate, evaluate and respond to media requests for information or interviews.
- Coordinate the writing, editing and distribution of all team news, such as news releases, media advisories and various media and fan correspondences.
- Play an active role in executing and expanding the organization’s social media efforts.
- Assist in developing and executing content ideas for WashingtonCaps.com & MonumentalNetwork.com
- Able to travel as needed and attend practices, morning skates and all home games.
- Assist in coordination of player and team awards, milestones and ceremonies.
- Serve as the team’s liaison with the off-ice officiating crew.
- Serve as liaison with the team’s photographer.
- Related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of media relations, public relations or related experience, preferably with a sports/entertainment organization.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on deadline, manage multiple tasks and work independently or as part of a team.
- Self-starter with decision-making abilities.